Thursday, September 22, 2005

Bush stabs his base in the back!

No, I'm not talking about the Have-Mores, I'm talking about the military. From Skippy and David Sirota the money to pay for Katrina's (and possibly Rita's) decimation of the Gulfcoast will come from cutting benefits for healthcare for military families and education for their children. Way to support the troops Congressman Pence! God forbid someone like Paris Hilton has to pay more taxes. You know, fiscal discipline is more than cutting spending that hurts the families of those who are serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Yet again Republicans lie about supporting our troops.

I remember when I was in the Army during 2000 and I was talking to a soldier about the election, he told me, "I hope Bush wins, we will finally have a President that understands us." When I pointed out to him the Al Gore actually served in the Army and went to Viet Nam and Bush couldn't even be bothered to show up for weekend duty in the National Guard, I told him that Bush was a draft dodger just like Clinton. He said it didn't matter, Bush would be better for the military no matter what. I wonder if he is still drinking that Kool-Aid. Of course, he wasn't the only one to become intoxicated by the Kool-Aid.

Remember this promise from Dana Priest's book The Mission on page 25:
The men and women in uniform had expected great things from....Republican George W. Bush had won their votes with a promise to be the military's friend. He would be tough on enemies. He would pick his fights around the world more judiciously than Clinton's team. He pledged more money, fewer deployments, a renewed esprit de corps
(emphasis mine)

Where is the money? It's being cut from soldier's families and there is no money for body or vehicle armor.
Fewer deployments? Tell that to a soldier is going to his third tour in Iraq.
Esprit de Corps? You tell me. Are soldiers still drinking the Kool-Aid? I know Bush is the President, but when I was in the Army in the 90's Clinton was hated. I wonder if soldiers still feel that way. Hints of discontent were seen last year. Yet 69% had a favorable opinion of Bush. I wonder if they still feel that way.

|
Lilypie Baby Ticker