Thursday, October 20, 2005

Some kids parents

Public schools often get a bad rap. Usually, the schools are not properly funded or the parents don't care if their children get a good education. However, some parents are over-involved. It was a reading assignment designed to enhance the critical thinking skills of eighth graders.
Wendy Strang's son came home from Cabin John Middle School with a list of 100 banned or challenged books last month, and eighth-grade English was off to a provocative start.
Teachers at the Potomac school had instructed honors students to look at the list with their parents and choose a book to read. "It is important to know why a book may be challenged," the assignment said.
Is the school going behind the parents' back with this reading assignment. NO!
But some (less than five) parents had issues with some of the books on the list. So the whole program was pulled. Well wasn't the assignment to allow the students to learn why those books had censorship challenges?
"People can cry censorship," this mom says, "but I am going to assert myself as I see fit to protect my child from premature exposure to inappropriate material."
Hello Mom, did you miss the part that you had input into which book your child selected??? Yes, there are books on the list that are not appropiate for eighth graders. But what about the Harry Potter books? What about A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein? I let my son read that in kindergarten, it's still one of his favorite books. What about James and the Giant Peach? I read that in the fifth grade. What about the Judy Blume books? I read those in my middle school years. There are a lot of books on this list that are age appropiate for 13 year old kids. It would have been a great writing assignment for an eighth grader to explain why someone would not want anyone else to read James and the Giant Peach.
(Hmm, my son loves the movie. Maybe I should check the book out from the library and read it to him. What can I say? I am the wife and mother that the fundagelicals hate. Why? Because I want my son to learn critical thinking skills and how to think for himself.)
My question is, how do these parents expect their children to survive on their own if the children are sheltered from everything? You know, if you deny your children opportunities like this, they will never move out of the house whey they grow up.

|
Lilypie Baby Ticker